Healthy Fried Chicken
The crunchy coating is what seals in the juices, giving this Southern standard its finger-licking flavor. Too bad it also absorbs so much fat. By stripping the bird of its skin, baking instead of frying, and ditching the batter for panko crumbs, our crispy cheat carves off 240 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cut-up chicken
- 1 1/2 up panko (Japanese-style) breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
1. In large self-sealing plastic bag, place buttermilk, ground red pepper and 3/4 teaspoon salt; add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning bag over once.
2. Heat oven to 425 F. Spray 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl, combine panko and lemon peel.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Discard marinade. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, to panko mixture, turning to coat. Place chicken in prepared pan.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until coating is crisp and juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with tip of knife.
TIP: For browner coating, after chicken is cooked, turn oven to broil. Broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from source of heat 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
(c) 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All rights reserved
Lite Mac and Cheese
They’ll never know we took out 10 grams of fat per serving because this macaroni and cheese is as good as — maybe even better than — the old-fashioned recipe.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni twists (whole or multigrain)
- 1 container low-fat cottage cheese (1 percent)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Grease broiler-safe, shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole. In medium saucepot, cook macaroni as label directs, but do not add salt to water. Drain.
2. In food processor with knife blade attached, puree cottage cheese until smooth. (Or, in blender, puree cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of milk in recipe until smooth.)
3. In 2-quart saucepan, blend flour with 1/4 cup milk until smooth. With wire whisk, slowly stir in remaining milk until blended. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until mixture has thickened slightly and boils. Remove from heat; stir in cottage cheese, Cheddar, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Spoon macaroni into prepared casserole and cover with cheese sauce. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with Pecorino. Turn oven control to broil.
5. Place casserole into broiler at closest position to heat source; broil until top is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Makes 8 (251 calorie) servings.
For thousands of triple-tested recipes, visit our website at http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/.
(c) 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc.
All rights reserved